Kelly Hedberg’s practice focuses on insurance coverage and bad faith litigation. Kelly also has experience defending corporations against claims involving personal injury, construction defect and other facets of commercial and business litigation. For companies of all sizes, Kelly has proven herself capable of developing and implementing defense strategies for everything from contract disputes to indemnity claims. Clients rely on her experienced guidance to cost-effectively defend their company.
Kelly’s success has earned her recognition among Super Lawyers’ Rising Stars every year since 2012. She frequently hosts client seminars and speaks at conferences to help equip her clients—and their employees—with practical strategies to reduce the risk of litigation. Best practices for handling and resolving litigation, assessing and addressing fraud in the claims environment, the current status of the indemnity provision in Arizona—these are just a few of the many areas in which Kelly’s experience contributes to her clients’ success.
As a member of the steering committee of ALFA International’s Insurance Group, Kelly is uniquely connected to an international network of insurance professionals. In addition to successfully representing clients, Kelly takes an active role in her community. Wills for Heroes and HandsOn Greater Phoenix are among the organizations she supports.
Kelly earned a law degree from Cleveland State University and a bachelor’s degree from Ohio State University. During her undergraduate studies, Kelly attended Semester at Sea, a multi-country study abroad program that circumnavigated the globe, stopping in countries such as Vietnam, India, Malaysia, Turkey and Morocco.
Co-Author, “ALFA Insurance Law 50-State Compendium,” 2015
Contributor, “ALFA Insurance Law Compendium: Property & Casualty,” 2015
Contributor, “ALFA Insurance Law Compendium: Health, Accident, and Life,” 2015
Co-Author, “ALFA Insurance Law 50-State Compendium,” 2013
Contributor, “ALFA Insurance Law Compendium: Property & Casualty,” 2013
Contributor, “ALFA Insurance Law Compendium: Health, Accident, and Life,” 2013
“It’s not just a two-way street: Shattering glass ceilings and beyond,” Panel Discussion Moderator, ALFA Insurance Law Practice Group Roundtable, June 2017
“Loose Lips Sink Ships – Effective Use of Social Media,” Panel Discussion Moderator, ALFA Insurance Law Practice Group Roundtable, June 2015
“Ethical And Other Challenges Arising From An Insurer’s Assertion Of Coverage Defenses In Liability Policies,” March 2015
“Handling Claims and Litigation with Additional Insureds, Other Insureds, Insured Contracts and Other Carve-Outs or Exceptions to Exclusions,” March 2015
“Overview of Arizona Bad Faith Law,” RCDM Client Seminar, August 2013
“Assessing and Addressing Fraud in the Claims Environment,” CLM Live Training, August 2013
“Ethics and Best Practices for Handling and Resolving Litigation,” RCDM Client Seminar, June 2013
“The Current Status of the Indemnity Provision in Arizona,” MC Consultants Construction Defect Seminar, March 2012
• Obtained defense verdict after five-day jury trial on workers’ compensation bad faith case involving injury to knee.
• Obtained summary judgment on Plaintiff’s punitive damages claim forcing settlement for less than 1/3 of Plaintiff’s demand in workers’ compensation bad faith case.
• Obtained walk-away dismissal with prejudice after aggressive discovery on a workers’ compensation bad faith case involving a traumatic brain injury where Plaintiff’s alleged damages were in excess of $3 million.
• Obtained summary judgment on breach of contract claim for carrier’s failure to pay accidental medical expense benefits when discovery proved carrier requested billing information and Plaintiff waited until after commencement of the breach of contract suit to provide the relevant invoices.
• Obtained summary judgment after proving agent of insurer owed no duty of professional care to an insured to procure adequate insurance for its business operations.
• Defense verdict affirmed on appeal involving construction site fatality.
• Summary judgment affirmed on appeal involving lack of evidentiary support against grader in construction defect case.
HONORS AND AWARDS
Super Lawyers® Rising Stars, 2012-2015